Monday, October 01, 2007

GARAGE SALE


One of Australia’s most loved places to shop for a bargain is the humble garage sale or better known as yard sale to our North American friends. You know the drill; rummage through everything you own and sort them into two main piles…sale worthy and garbage worthy items, then sell them for a nail biting fraction of the price.

Last weekend, after a week of fierce spring cleaning, I set up my garage into a makeshift store with all manner of things from old cd’s to furniture. I even managed to pry some old stuffed toys from my bowerbird of a daughter. She eventually came around to my ruthless ways, but got a little too excited and started clearing out half of her wardrobe. Noticing her gusto and realising she now only possessed a swimming costume, her school uniform and a few t-shirts, I gently explained to her that this was not a charity for the homeless and that she might want to wear something other than her school uniform throughout the summer holidays. With an ‘oh yeah’ and a sigh, she dutifully hung up her now wrinkled clothes.

Needing a display table I hauled in the outdoor setting complete with umbrella to look like a market. I worked really well, however, next time I think I’ll just stick a ‘sold’ sticker on it to save my breath. With the garage all set-up and hand painted sheets of cardboard taped to telegraph poles heralding our new store, we were ready for customers. Much to my flat mate’s annoyance I hauled the stereo into the garage and played ‘customer friendly’ music (on repeat). Hey, who doesn’t like Buena Vista Social Club?

People meandered in and out all day and found a hundred and one little bargains. My daughter and my little sister stood out the front waving signs they painted, slurped on ice blocks and brought in many more customers. They just loved being part of the entire process. In one weekend they learned advertising, setting up, pricing, selling, customer service, barter negotiation, seeing the job through and cleaning up, and all with a reward at the end for their hard work.

We sold much more than we anticipated, however, with so much still to go, we are holding another one this weekend. My gorgeous grandma and aunty are already thinking of what they can get rid of to add to the mix. I was surprised at the amount of Christmas spending money that was tied up in old forgotten knick knacks around the house. Get moving and clear out that attic, that spare room, that GARAGE and have a spring clean with a pleasant return. Not only will you make a small fortune and meet new people in your neighbourhood, you will have an entire day with one goal that the whole family can work towards together.

Enjoy!

Michaela.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michaela,

One man's trash is another mans treasure! Thanks for sharing I could almostfeel the sticky iceblocks! Well done :)

Annie

Anonymous said...

yes.. tried it today... apparently a main road ad helps! anyway, top idea. one can never shed too much. go the decluttering i say. Set yourself free from the guilt invoved in holding on to unfinished "craft" projects. it is truly liberating! happy shedding everbody, sarah! x

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics