Monday, October 29, 2007

Health...... It's a Mind Thing

So today is HEALTH day and I've decided to talk about something other than Fitness, Healthy eating or the like. I would like to talk about Mental Health. I think it's extremely important to keep our minds healthy and by that I mean we need to make sure we think positively, think on good things (think happy thoughts), we need to challenge our mind by exercising it like any other muscle in our body.

For myself I know when my mind isn't being exercised or used correctly. I think most of you probably do too. Just a few tell-tale signs of a mind that requires strengthening are:

Continual thought patterns that are in the wrong place
Sadness for long periods of time
Negative thinking
Loss of memory (that can also be from being too busy as well)

There are so many more but these are just a few that will get you thinking about your own mind and where you currently are mentally. There are simple things we can all do to keep our mind strong, positive and working for us. A few techniques I use are as follows:

I wake before anyone in the house and find time to quiet my mind and for me prayer is how I quiet and focus myself.
I choose not to listen to negative talk or enter into negative conversations.
I CHOOSE to look for the positive or the silver lining in every situation.
I read great, inspiring stories (Reader’s Digest is great for quick uplifting articles).
I dream about what could be, even if it’s not in the realm of possibility, I dream about things and talk to my girlfriends about the dreams.
I talk to my mum and my sister (and a few good friends) about ‘issues’ or ‘concerns’ in life that I may have.
I smile A LOT.
I try and learn a new word every day or week.
Something I need to work on is memory ~ I have so much going on that I don’t seem to remember like I once did (maybe it was babies who knows but I do know that many of us share this weakness). I practice remembering things and challenge myself all the time.

I could go on and on but I think you get what I’m talking about. Make sure you take time in your everyday to quiet your mind and exercise it. Good mental health can been seen in every area of our lives. It’s worth working on. If you have concerns or things you need to talk to someone and you don’t feel comfortable talking to anyone in your world then please do so ~ there are incredible experts who are able to help all of us make sense out of any situation.

Take care be well, remember to smile and keep it simple but keep it real.

Susan xoxo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't agree more Susan. There is actually a book called the battlefield of the mind. We need to be on top of our thoughts as they influence every area of our lives. You know what they say , "garbage in...."!

Annie

Anonymous said...

I can't agree with you more Susan, our mental health is extremely important and unfortunately neglected much of the time. We seem to think everything just keeps going because we're functioning.
I recently watched my grandmother pass away and her life in the last years were very sad. It made me realize how much I need to care for my mind and, as you say, exercise it regularly.
By the way I'm really enjoying your new format, the daily topics. I find it easy to stay up with what you girls are doing.
Thanks.
Bernadine

Anonymous said...

Another good one.
Veronica

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics