Wednesday, October 24, 2007

To Balski


I’ve heard it said that you can take a girl out of the country but you can’t take the country out of the girl. Today I know that’s true.

As some of you already know I am a small town girl (I think the population of our town is approximately 998 ~ give or take a few) and today, as with most days, I am proud to be a small town girl. There’s something magical about a small town and the people in it, we have a ‘connection’ that I believe is unique. There is a line in a song by John Mellencamp that resonates with all small town people regardless of where life has lead us, the line goes like this “I was born in a small town, gonna die in that same small town, it’s probably where they’ll bury me.” We all sing that song with vigour.

The other night as I was preparing to go out with my husband and a message came up on Facebook. The message was from and old friend from our small town and the subject simply said ‘Balski’ (the nickname of one of our childhood friends). I immediately knew something wasn’t right ~ isn’t it funny how our spirit just knows when things just aren’t as they should be.

I opened the message to find that my childhood friend had sadly died. His life had been cut short far too soon. I began to think about my small town and the great relationships I have with so many and thought about how important it is to take and make time in order to have time for the things that matter. Our relationships are truly a gift from God. Today, as I mourn the death of a friend, I want to encourage you to manage your time in such away that you have and make time for the things in life that truly matter.

My heart has been sad all week. I have thought back to the days of old and I know all my small town friends are doing the same. Through his death I’m amazed at how both young and old from our small town have communicated ~ all feeling the same sense of loss. Balski will be remembered forever. When we get together we will remember his smile, his crazy jokes and his wicked sense of humour. He will be forever in our hearts.

So my friend today I say farewell. I have said a prayer for you and for your family, you will remembered forever and I count an honour to have known you all my life. Enjoy this journey that you are now on and say hello to those who have gone before.

Good-bye my friend.

Susan

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful writeup Susan. You articulated yourself very well.
Shonna

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your friend Susan. You really took us to where you are, your writing is very enticing.
Deana

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments Shonna and Deana. I've had quite a few emails regarding this post, obviously it has touched quite a few.
Susan

ps - keep reading and commenting.

Anonymous said...

WOW. You hit a few heart strings for me. Thanks for sharing with all of us.
I just need to tell you and the other family room people how much I enjoy this blog. I don't comment that often but I read most everything. I will try and comment more often.
Thank you for all your hard work.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Cathy,
It looks like we're on here at the same time. Thanks for your comment, we look forward to recieving many more.
Susan
ps - keep smiling

Anonymous said...

Wonderful job Susan. You say it perfectly from all of us.

Great website , can't wait to be able to spend more time reading it.
Stacey

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to your friend.
Sam

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics