Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tick Tock, Tick Tock


Today is our ‘Current Affairs’ day on the familyroom blog and I’ve decided to look at something that is always current and involves all our our affairs. It’s a four letter word (yikes!!) that seems to escape most of us and sadly I’m not sure if anyone really understand what it means anymore. The four letter word I’m referring to is TIME.

So friends here is my thought de jour......

Is time speeding up or are we just trying to do too much in the time we've been given? Are we operating at break neck speeds leaving behind only a light track and in many cases far too much dust? Is it all meant to be so high pressured, biggest, best, high speed, high intensity, do this, do that? Or, are we meant to do one thing really well and stay steady, focused, consistent, confident, reliable, happy?

My mind went here this week because I have been in email contact with a friend.....no, not phone communication (that takes up too much time) we've been exchanging emails ~ you know because we are such high tech individuals who care about humanity so much that a voice-to-voice would be stretching even the most seemingly caring person. Anyway I found humor in the fact that we are unable to 'connect' until December.

Now I know everyone's schedule is different and we all place importance on different things and people and perhaps I'm just not high on this friends list of important ~ which is totally fine by me.

What I found funny was that we seem to get consumed doing and trying and seem to forget about caring and sharing and simply BEing. Being in the moment and remaining alert to what is happening around us, being available to make a difference in the everyday-ness of life. I wonder, what would life look like if we all slowed down by one week? How much happier would we be as individuals and how much happier could we make others simply by taking time, to make time to have time.

I will leave you with something that came to mind whilst writing this:

T alking
I ntimacy
M emories
E ternity

Just my thought de jour......

Susan xoxo

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan I really like this post. You've caused me to think and that's a good thing. Do people understand time anymore? I would have to agree with you I think time is one of those forgotten elements in life. I choose to make time for the things that matter however I seem to be one of the few.
Thanks for reminding me that what I'm doing and how I'm choosing to live my life is right.
Wayne

Anonymous said...

well said.
Veronica

Anonymous said...

Wayne,
Thanks for your comment. Causing someone to think is a great gift ~ I'm glad I've done that for you today.
Keep going, dare to be different my friend.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Veronica,
Thanks for reading and commenting. Glad you enjoyed the post.
Susan

Anonymous said...

We live in a busy and great world with all the communication available to us (myspace, facebook, blogging, email, etc.). It's all wonderful to have this incredible technology. But.....there is nothing like the sound of a loved one's voice on the other end of the phone so take the time to pick it up and make a call or stop and smile.

See here I am taking the time in a busy day to make a comment.

Suzie

Anonymous said...

TIME- you can't get it back. Iam encouraged by your post Susan as so much of our identity is based on how much we "do". There is such value in spending time as you say "BEing" Great post!

Annie x

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad this post is creating so many comments. Obviously something we all grapple with.
Thanks Annie and Suzie for joining us. This post can be used as a discussion point both here on our blog and around the dinner table. Why not invite someone over for a meal and let the table topic be TIME.
Thanks again and keep commenting.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I'm loving these comments.

I've been thinking about this post all day and have enjoyed reading the comments.

Something I've been thinking about is that in life I believe we are given two gifts, one being life itself and the other time. Isn't it interesting to think that we've been given such a valuable commodity. As Annie said, we never get time back.

I guess that brings it back home, how will you spend this precious gift? The options are endless, you could lay in front of the TV for another night, continue racing around, or you could stop and BE who you are meant to be in that moment.

Just an add on thought from a girl with a cup of tea in one hand and some time in the other.

Love you!

Susan

Anonymous said...

There are still 24 hours in each day, yet somehow we all seem to be too busy, too pressured, and sadly often a little too full of our own imporantance, that we fail to stop to do the little things that mean so much to those around us. Thanks for that reminder to use our time wisely. After all, what matters most at the end of the day is what we did for others, not how many tasks we got through in a single day!

Anonymous said...

Shona,
Thanks for your comment friend. Well said. I totally agree about the 'what we do for others' statement.
I had a STOP moment the other day that involved a homeless man in LA.
Stay tuned for the post 'Everyone has a Story' I know you'll like it.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Talking, Intimacy, Memories, Eternity. Love that thought. Kind of stopped me in my tracks.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just read your article on Time!!! I loved it and couldn't agree more. I have recently quite my job and am enjoying the oportunity to stay home and take care of my family. We certainly do live in the roller coaster don't we? I have been recently given a gift, which was a reminder that life is short, and if I was to die tomorrow, what would my regrets be. Working to much and not being the kind of mom and wife that I want to be is what I would regret. That is why I have taken action to change my life. My best friend died a year ago from ALS. It was a horrible disease that stripped her of everything she was, we faced her dealth together and spent a long 2 years trying to cope with her fate. I feel I would be doing her an injustice if I did not learn from what she had to go through. Anyway, didn't mean to get into all that, just wanted to let you know I enjoyed your writing!

Take Care
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Susan,
Great stuff, We need to stop and smell the roses and take time to enjoy the things that this wonderful earth has to offer. Thanks for a great post.
Belinda

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics