2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
400g/14oz risotto rice
150ml/5oz white wine
1.5 litres/2½ pints hot chicken stock
450g/1lb frozen peas
6-8 slices prosciutto chopped into bite size pieces
25g/1oz grated parmesan cheese
handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Sauté onion & garlic in olive oil & half the butter till slightly brown over medium high heat.
2. Add the rice and fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring continually.
3. Add the white wine and reduce the heat to medium low. Stirring continually.
4. Once the wine is absorbed add the stock one ladleful at a time. Stir the rice slowly until the stock is absorbed. Continue adding ladles of stock and stirring the rice until stock is absorbed. Rice should begin to have a creamy texture.
5. Before adding the last several ladles of stock add the peas and prosciutto.
6. Once all stock is absorbed add remaining butter and and cheese and blend gently
into rice. Season with salt & pepper.
7. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
8. Rice should be creamy with a slight bite. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with a smile!
©The Family Room 2006