Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Great Day At The Fair


Yesterday was a great day. The children had their annual school fair. It was a hot, humid Spring day. The community turned out in record numbers as did the flies!

What was great about this fair was that it was all about the children and the community. The kids got to see all the parents volunteering and raising money for their school. Mum's were face painting, hair spraying, getting caught up in fairy floss and guzzling water like crazy. Dad's were running after miss-hit golf balls, madly selling raffle tickets and sweating like they had just run a marathon.

The "Golfarama" was a popular game for the boys. If you got a ball in the hole, your prize was a "fart bag". Yes you read it right. A fart bag. It was a small silver pack which, when stomped on, caused the bag to expand and then "POP" - instant fart complete with horrible stench. Needless to say the "fart in a bag" was going off - all day!

Watching the boys let one off and run away in fits of laughter was a hoot!. I know it's gross but I love to see boys being boys.

After the fair was over we invited some friends over for afternoon tea. The children swam, watched High School Musical and played for hours. We drank numerous cups of tea and coffee, indulged in some Italian Cannoli and before we knew it, afternoon tea had turned into dinner.

It was then I realised how much more I enjoy having people over when it is unplanned. There are no expectations - no frantic cleaning and preparation of food before they arrive. Just "hey, why don't you stay for dinner". Thankfully, I had some pasta sauce made, but cheese on toast would have been just as good.

We all had a fun day and I know it will be a lasting memory for me and my children.
Sam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam,

Sounds like fun, wish I had been there. The first Glenhaven Fair we have missed in 5 years and we didn't even go to that school......
Love the fart bag ~ you know I would have had a go.
Missing you guys.
Susan

Anonymous said...

You are so right Sam We need to relax and enjoy the moment.
Annie

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics