Thursday, November 01, 2007

Thought Du Jour and Mild Chicken Curry


Today is our recipe day but I thought I would add a little story with my recipe. Warning: the recipe and the story have no connection just adding my Thought De Jour as an appetizer.

Like many of you I watch the news and keep myself informed about what is going on in the world today. Sadly much of the news we hear is of pain, devastation, sadness and things that are simply wrong. I find myself in conversations and hear people say that the world is going to Hell in a handbag and that we live in terrible times.

My thinking....I think it's our responsibility, in the midst of the bad stuff, to look for the good. I'm raising my kids in this world and I'm choosing to create a great environment for them and others. I'm choosing to see the sunny side, I'm choosing to smile at the future, I'm choosing to uncover the good which is there for us to enjoy. I'm not ignoring or pretending the other doesn't exist I'm simply daring to be different.

I think it's time for all of us to stand up a little taller, to speak a little louder and for goodness to drown out or at least dampen that which is not good.

Just my thought du jour.

Recipe of the Day.... This one's for you Robert!

Mild Chicken Curry (for young and old to enjoy!)

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Cooking Time: 40 minutes (give or take a few ~ I usually give a few :)

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Oil
1.5 Kilos chicken pieces (thighs are the best but wings and drumsticks are yummy too)
2 medium onions sliced
3 stalks celery sliced
2 Tbsp curry powder (you can adjust this to your families liking)
2 cloves garlic (I’m generous here and add more...)
2 Tbsp flour
11/2- 2 cups chicken stock
2 green apples peeled and cubed
1/2-1 cup sultanas (raisins)

Method:
1) Heat oil in pan, cook chicken in batches until well browned; drain on paper towel.
2) In the same pan add onion, celery and cook until soft. Add curry powder, garlic and flour; stir over heat until mixture becomes dry and grainy. Remove from heat.
3) Add stock gradually, stirring until mixture is smooth. Return pan to heat, stir until sauce boils and thickens. Add chicken, cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
4) Add apple and sultanas/raisins, simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, or until chicken is tender.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess what's for dinner tonight?!!
I agree with you about seeing the bright side. Lets face it, bad news sells. I am careful to keep abreast of what is happening in the world but not immerse myself in it. I listen to the radio for news rather than watch TV as it can be too impacting in some cases especially if the children are around. Annie

Susan J Sohn said...

You are seriously going to LOVE this. Couple it with Sam's Spicy Lentils (see our June archive on the blog).

Keep seeing the bright side.

Love ya Annie!

Anonymous said...

Wow! We must be on the same wavelength. I got to the lentils in Woolies this morning and picked up a bag. Now I get home and I know what to do with them!!

Off to work now. Can't wait to get back and start dinner.

Annie x

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics