Sunday, November 11, 2007

Organizing Your Home


Whether we want to think about it or not, Christmas is sneaking up on the calendar with vigour. Now is the time to begin planning the season so that when the time comes you can finally relax and truly enjoy the moments with your loved ones.

Soon we will be posting a Christmas Plan to help you with the nitty gritty during the countdown. Meanwhile, I thought I’d share some tips for getting your home into shape before it becomes a holiday haven once again.

1. Behind closed doors…
Clear out your cupboards! It is such a great feeling knowing that you’re not going to be pelted with volleyballs, kites and suitcases when you open the hall cupboard. To avoid this happening, grab three large boxes (if you need more, feel free) and label one as ‘Give Away’, one ‘Throw Away’ and one ‘Keep’. This rule can apply to every cupboard in the house. Drop your giveaways off straight away to a local charity, as they could become timely Christmas provisions for many.

2. Spare me…
We all know that the spare room (for those who have them) can too easily become the family dumping ground if we’re not careful. If you find yourself asking, “Well, where am I supposed to put everything?” first ask yourself if everything in the room is necessary. If not, see Tip #1. If it is, install a storage system that will keep everything protected, tidy and out of view. Anyone who has the privilege of staying over will appreciate not having to climb over unused gym equipment, stacks of ‘filing’ and ‘giveaway’ boxes from last year’s spring clean.

3. The heart of the home…
The kitchen is noted by many families world wide as the heart of the home. If this is true, we should be taking every precaution to ensure that it doesn’t need a triple bypass a week before Christmas. Organise your pantry, dispose of anything that has exceeded it’s used by date and make room for the weeks ahead. Clear the benches or kitchen table of anything that isn’t kitchen related. Somehow it’s much more enjoyable to eat Christmas breakfast without having to look at a pile of oil splattered phone books or that old favourite again ‘filing’.

4. Please take a seat…
During the Christmas break, our house is flooded with guests. Some invited and some not. Allow your home the chance to enlarge its hosting capacity by simply investing into spare chairs, a few more plates and drinking glasses, back-up snacks, a couple more pillows/blankets, etc.

5. The way you look tonight…
Please do not feel the pressure to redecorate your entire home or go broke in an effort to impress Martha Stewart. You know she’s not coming anyway! Definitely make an effort with your home, take pride in it and get you family involved, but all it takes is simply rearranging a few things, adding a few touches and making room for those you love.

Let’s get started now because before we know it, we won’t have the time.

Enjoy!
Michaela.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Michaela. Great push!!!!

Susan

Anonymous said...

Mic,
Love the photo!
Susan

Anonymous said...

hey mickey G,
I am in the apple store reading the familyroom it's really fun i get to play with the third generation ipods and the iphones.
from sophia

Anonymous said...

Thanks Michaela,
I always apply your tips for making my home run more smoothly. Last Christmas was great fun thanks to your advice. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us this season.
Annie
p.s Martha isn't turning up at your place this year because she will be at mine!!

Anonymous said...

I love the 'Spare Me' part of your article. I cleared out my spare room about 9 months ago and I feel fantastic. It's almost like a good healthy diet, you feel so much better once it's all cleared out and the room is being used for it's primary purpose.
Loved it. Thanks Michaela for your great ideas.
Theresa

Anonymous said...

Yikes. I've got to get myself organized. I've starting buying presents so I guess that's a step in the right direction!
Thanks Mic.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Glad I could help girls. Have fun with it, call on a friend to help you out and do the same in return. Clearing out 'stuff' is always much more fun when you have someone to gas bag with.
Michaela.

Anonymous said...

Michaela... a new hidden gem... the crawl space. No, not the basement but the portion of the house that doesn't have a full basement. It is the place where everything is out of sight and out of mind. OK it can become the junk pile. How do I know... my hamster just got out of its cage and I had to hunt in every square inch of our home.

I decided... who needs all the boxes. Who needs to store an extra Christmas tree. Who needs to hold on to the pair of ice skates from when they were 15. Clear the clutter... that's my new motto.

If you're going to have a hamster you must eliminate all possible hiding/nesting places!

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. In the future I would like to see a post specifically dealing with the front hall closet because anytime I lose anything in the house I immediately go looking (almost by instinct) to the front hall closet. It seems it holds so many treasures and I just need to learn how to keep it in order so I don't stand looking, looking, looking!
Forever, Vilma

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment Vilma, I will post some great storage ideas in the next couple of weeks. We're going to need it come Christmas!
Michaela.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics