Saturday, November 03, 2007

Bring Back the Family Photo Album


This past weekend an article in The Sunday Telegraph caught my eye. The headline read: ‘Digital’s killed the photo album star’. According to the article, the family photo album may be a thing of the past – yikes! They go on to say that experts have warned that the rise of digital cameras; computers and mobile phones could lead to the death of the family photo album. The photo imaging council (didn’t know there was such a thing), are quoted as saying that that childhood memories and moments of great celebrations such as weddings and birthdays are missing from thousands of albums around the country. In fact statistics show that many never get around to printing their pictures, choosing to keep them on their hard drive. Executive Director for the photo Imaging council, Paul Curtis says that there is a whole generation of kids from 2003 to 2005 that never managed to make it into the family photo album.

Now I am not opposed to technology in the slightest, but there is something really comforting about sitting on the couch with the family and pouring over baby photo’s, holiday snaps and pics of kids birthday parties. Sadly, my own albums stopped when my five year old turned two. Now if we want to look at photos taken over the past three years, we all have to sit around a computer screen, which, quite frankly, just isn’t the same. So I say, ‘bring back the family album’ Next weekend, I intend to select a handful of shots from my computer, print them out and stick them in albums, which will be strategically placed around the house – encouraging my kids to take comfort in the cherished memories of our past. It may be old fashioned, but as Mr. Curtis said: “It’s not a real photo until it’s printed.”

Nicki Partridge

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true Nicky
I think not only is it about the digital age but also we are so busy we put those precious things aside until we have the time which of course willnever come!!

I have a photo wall which I started when we were living in Fiji and am planning to keep going.
We try to print pics even on paper from the printer and we plaster them on the ever expanding photo wall.
I love it and it keeps the kids talking about memories as well as being a great conversation starter for when people come over.

Lv Jane

Anonymous said...

Great post Nic, you spoke to me. My albums are boxes of photos which sadly haven't made it into albums yet. With the digital age I've got countless disks now laying around that no doubt have incredible memories on them. This is an area I need to get better at. My parents weren't big 'album' people rather they framed and hung which I like too.

Thankfully my eldest is taking a liking to doing albums so I think she will be our photo girl.....phew!

Susan

ps - I've seen Jane's wall she's referring to and it works, she prints out emailed photos and everything so the kids see their friends, etc.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wake-up call Nicki - this is so true. Despite my scrapbooking, I still have boxes full of photos in the cupboards and hundreds more on the computer.

I love the idea of a photo wall, Jane. You've inspired me to start one straight away. I also saw another idea recently where someone had printed out black and white copies of their pics on normal paper from the home printer then stuck them in a montage all over a giant canvas. It looked really effective. Might try that too.

Deborah

Anonymous said...

I think you've inspired and reminded us all Nicki.
Susan

Unknown said...

Great post! I actually noted this phenomenon around this time last year and dumped a load of cash into printing out my favourite pics of those two years you wrote about. I found a local store that allowed me to make a photo book (much like a coffee table book) and made one for each missed year! It cost a bit but was worth it and it made a great gift for my wife who LOVES the photos of our family.

Anonymous said...

How true it is.... My grandmother recently passed away and we spent time going through old albums. there weren't many (she being 92) but what was there was a wealth of history and family connection. i scrapbook and my kids are involved as well. they would much prefer to sit around the table and get lost in baby photos than watch tv. we love it and we plan to keep the album tradition alive in our house. thanks, Clare

Anonymous said...

So true Clare. And, if this is the Clare I think it is I must say you leave all of us in the dust.

You just gave me a good idea about getting the kids around the table and doing it together. That would be an awesome family night thing to do.....

Thanks for making a comment Clare....keep them coming.
Susan

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics