Sunday, March 11, 2007

A Nice Cup of Tea


Today I heard someone talking about having a cup of tea when life gets a little on the 'hard' side.

As I listened to this person speak I was reminded of my beautiful 5"0 (Scottish) Nana. I must tell you, I had the most beautiful 'proper' Nana in the world - I NEVER, ever heard her say a bad word and I NEVER, ever saw her in anything other than dresses, lovely shoes and occassionally her dressing gown. Her hair was always done, her handbags always matched her shoes, she always had a tissue up her sleeve (or tucked into her bra), one could ALWAYS find peppermints in the green container above the fridge and she always had a pot of tea on the go!

If her teapot could talk there would be countless stories we would hear about life. Stories which included the ups and the downs life brings, the moments of joy, great belly laughter, some tears thrown into the mix and so, so much more. You see I believe that my Nana, like the person I heard speaking today, understood something about life that we all can learn - a good cup of tea not only warms our hearts but it soothes our souls. A cup of tea with a friend can change our perspective on so many issues, it can cause us to rise to the challenges life presents us with plus it can ease the pain of a broken or wounded heart. There is so much more to a cup of tea than simple leaves, or a bag and a drop of hot water.

This week I encourage you to slow down, make a cup of tea for yourself and others or just yourself. Relax, unwind and allow your moment with your tea unravel the 'issues' of life. I know that when life is moving at full speed in our home, or I'm feeling slightly under the weather a nice cuppa (as they say in Australia) is the medicine I need.

I realise now how much I learned from my Nana....she was an incredible woman whom I loved very much and who loved me right back. To spend one more day with her, sitting at her table, listening to her tap her fingers as we played cards would be almost perfect.......hmmmm

Have the best week and remember to smile more than you did last week and tell someone how much they matter to you!

Susan xoxo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice thing to write about. I think I'll go an put a pot on now and relax before bed. I'm going to use a cup and saucer too usually I just use a mug.
Thanks.
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder Susan.
Debbie

Anonymous said...

I love reading things like this, it is so good to know the safety of a cup of tea with grandma and trying to emulate that in my own life. Thank you.
Michelle.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics