Thursday, March 01, 2007

Getting Over Ourselves

I used to complain about having no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet ~ Anonymous


A few days ago I was complaining to my husband about how overwhelming life was. The washing had piled up, the kitchen was a disaster zone, and my fridge was desperately in need of an overhaul. Too many people, including my kids, were making demands of me. I felt bloated and tired and to top it all off, I had absolutely nothing to wear (actually, nothing I felt comfortable in).

Later that day, after tackling a few of my problem areas, I sat down with a cuppa to watch Oprah (as you do when you have too much too do!!!). What a wake-up call! Her show featured members of her audience who were given $1000 to ‘pay it forward’ In a nutshell, the concept of blessing others. One particular lady in the audience decided to help out a single mum living in the Bronx.

As story unfolded with Oprah’s camera’s following this mum around in her apartment, I began to feel ashamed of myself for complaining about my ‘lot in life.’ This woman was doing it tough. She was working full time, supporting three children, living in a tiny partly furnished flat with concrete floors, bare walls, no beds for her kids and a kitchen that was falling apart. We won’t even talk about the cockroach infestation in her pantry – thank God she got some help.

At the end of the show, I switched off the TV, repented of my winging and came to realize that life could be a whole lot worse … so, I just needed to put another load in the washing machine and get over myself.

Nicki P

4 comments:

thefamilyroom said...

Thanks for helping to put things into perspective Nicki. :)
~cj
xoxox

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nicki for the straight talking, just makes us remember what we do have, thanks again and keep up the good work.

mbjtb

Anonymous said...

love the quote.
thanks.
margaret

Anonymous said...

I saw this too. It was sooooo inspiring. You have reminded me of what is possible when we get our eyes off ourselves.
thanks for the nudge.
Felicity.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics