Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Dinner Disasters!


A dinner disaster……have you ever had one? Thankfully I don’t have to many however tonight was a doozie.

For some reason over the past few weeks I have been inspired to make a Prawn Laksa ( a Vietnamese dish that I have never cooked before). Well tonight was the night. I was extremely prepared; with all the ingredients pre bought, and in my head I thought I would dazzle my family with yet another simply irresistible dinner.

As I’ve shared before, we are a ‘foodie’ family, which simply means we LOVE food; we LOVE to prepare different foods and ENJOY a great meal. So tonight would be no different, something new and something I thought we would all enjoy.

What can I say….dinner is finally finished, the kids are in bed and our meal tonight has definitely topped the list of the Sohn Dinner Disasters! My Prawn Laksa was such a let down. The kids tried their hardest to enjoy it, my hubby seemed to enjoy it however now he keeps telling me how sick he feels. I enjoyed a few bites and then decided I had had enough – I sympathise with my hubby because I feel exactly the same……YUK!

Thankfully I’m not at a particular ‘sensitive’ time of the month because (girls) we all know what that’s like…… “I cooked this entire meal and know one likes it, I tried something new, that’s it, never again, the kitchen is yours. I’m having chocolate for dinner!” Ha!

End of the story…..the Prawn Laksa menu will NOT be shared on this blogspot (unless someone has one that is TRIED AND TRUE!) nor has it made the Sohn Family top 10, 20, 30 or beyond meal idea list. Basically it was one of those nights where a good idea just didn’t work and it wasn’t anyone’s fault we all just had to laugh and head to bed a little hungrier than usual. Simply put stuff happens and we just move on.

I hope you enjoyed this little story about my Dinner Disaster. I think it’s important to share the things that don’t go right because it makes us all feel a little closer and perhaps a little more ‘normal’.

Take care and remember to keep reading about our Journey Towards Health and Fitness and consider joining us – we’d love to have you.

Susan xoxo

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan,

I loved your story! (Although hard to believe YOU having a Dinner Disaster!!) Funnily enough I have looked at cooking Laska myself for months and just "haven't got around to it!" I'll let you know if I have much success when I finally get there!! Joelle xx

Anonymous said...

Joelle,
How funny to get your comment I was just going to email you.
I know, being a total self proclaimed at-home-chef I can't believe I had such a terrible disaster. Let me know how you go when you make yours.
Looking forward to seeing you in Sydney soon.
Thanks for checking out the blog spot!
Susan

thefamilyroom said...

Susan,
Haha, let me say your story made me laugh! How many new meals have I been around for that you've cooked, and they nearly always turn out amazing. I can just imagine what dinner would have been like around your table! Wish I could have been there!
~cj
xoxox

Anonymous said...

That is funny! Maybe you didn't have a great recipe.
I think laksa is a wintery meal best enjoyed when warming you up from frostbite.
I think you can cheat a little with the paste, you should try again, a good laksa is heavenly!
One of my disasters is cooking chicken, everyone always says, wow this chicken is really chewy it gets stuck in my teeth!
Lv Jane

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I had a similar experience last night cooking a Potato Gratin. It tasted fantastic, but I was way too heavy handed on the garlic. Let's just say we still smelt this morning! Eww!
Michaela.

Anonymous said...

yeah mum it really was a dinner disaster(for the first time ever)

well all i know is that i didn't like love from Sophia xoxo

Susan Sohn said...

too funny. just read this again after listening to www.blogtalkradio.com/susanjsohn

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics