Monday, March 19, 2007

Keepin It Alive!


We hear a lot about keeping our marriages alive and spicing things up
every now and then and in that spirit I thought I'd share a little fun
we had for my hubby's birthday recently.

The kids and I went into one of those funny little booths and had our
photo taken. Jonah was kissing my cheek and Giorgia was
smiling a big cheesy grin. We did this with my husbands birthday in mind.

As his birthday approached I got creative. I scanned the photo and enlarged
it a zillion times (it was a bit distorted but that made it all the
more fun), I then photocopied it 200 times onto A4 paper. While Daddy was at work, the kids and I spent a good few hours writing special birthday love notes to him on the pictures.

The night before the big day I waited till he was asleep (it felt like
AGES!) and then grabbed my blu tac and wad of photocopies and wandered
the house like a crazy person sticking the pics on anything I could
find. I made a pathway with some on the floor and hid a few in his briefcase, the car and in notebooks. It was a SO MUCH FUN!

Our creativity paid off! You see this along with a great breakfast and his favourite dinner WAS his present. We've been saving really hard for a big trip that's
costing a bomb, so 'extras' aren't an option right now (he would have seen a present as an 'extra' we know how hubby's think don't we!)

I think this will go down as one of his favorite gifts. It was so much more meaningful than the obligatory aftershave or electrical toy. He loved the effort and the texta written messages on the photos and a whole lot of them are still stuck up on one of our walls just for fun.

Doing this made me think about how easy it is to slip into boring and same old in many areas of our lives. I want to put the effort in and show my nearest and dearest that they're worth the creativity and the time it takes to make them feel
special, I know I love it when the same love and attention has been put
into something for me.

Coming up with something new each year is going to be a challenge, but
it'll be fun trying!

Share some of your crazier ideas for making your loved ones feel
special so we can inspire each other!!

Have a great day,
Lv Jane

2 comments:

thefamilyroom said...

Hey Jane,
That's a great idea that I think I may have to use sometime :)
One year for my friend's 16th (16th is a big deal here, it's like you first BIG birthday - you can get your driver's license (and not a wimpy "L", it's your full driver's license)) we planned with his family that we'd get into his room before he got home and fill it was balloons. We also left birthday confetti in nearly every drawer in his room as well as in his bed, plus we had little gifts placed around his room that he tripped on while wadding through the sea of balloons. It was so much fun and pretty cheap as well. Haha, I think we had more fun doing it for him then he did when he opened his bedroom door :)
~cj

Anonymous said...

That's fun CJ! I like your balloon idea too, that'd be a good one for the kids.
You could do it while they're asleep or when they're at school for an afternoon bday surprise!

Jane

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics