Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Tune in, tone up

A few weeks ago, my interest in the gym didn’t so much hit a plateau – it nose-dived spectacularly into a tail-spin of boredom and monotony.

The treadmill had become a chore, the bike was boring beyond belief and even my personal favourite, the cross-trainer, failed to rekindle my waning desire to work out. Hands up if you’ve been there.

I tried plugging in the headphones and watching TV but that didn’t work for me. I became so absorbed in the programs that my brisk walk turned into an afternoon stroll. The music channel seemed like a good idea but, call me old-fashioned, scantily-clad girls lamenting their lost loves and singing of plans to exact terrible revenge on their exes just left me cold.

Finally, I hit upon the idea of compiling a workout playlist for the iPod. Perhaps I’m slow on the uptake, it just hadn’t occurred to me to do this before.

But you know what, it worked so well. I chose a few fast tunes for the 40 minutes of cardio then some favourite crooners to slow the pace for a cool down. It’s hard to believe something so simple could make such a big difference. My energy and motivation were renewed.

So today, lucky ladies and gentlemen, I am sharing with you my Number 1 motivational, workout playlist. Give it a whirl or make one of your own, then when the excesses of the festive season are over you can, quite literally, hit the ground running with a new fitness regime!


 Click on the song titles to go to a website where you can hear a snippet from them. Then click the little speaker symbol and they will launch in Windows Media Player.

Cardio:
If you could read my mind – Amber
Love Generation – Bob Sinclair
Destination Calabria – Alex Gaudino
Kung Fu Fighting – Carl Douglas
Mambo No 5 – Lou Bega
Bingo Bango – Basement Jaxx
We’re Going to Ibiza – Venga Boys
You’re The First, the Last, My Everything – Barry White
20 Good Reasons – Thirsty Merc
Hot Hot Hot – Bina Mistry

Cooldown:
Put Your Records On – Corinne Bailey Rae
Grace – U2
Fix You – Coldplay

That's all for today. Enjoy your workout and some of my favorites. Have a very Merry Christmas and an amazing New Year.

Deborah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK Deborah you are a great writer. I love reading your blogs. I am going to give the playlist a whirl however I think KungFu Fighting was the only familiar tune for this old gal.
KG

Anonymous said...

Thanks KG. I bet you'd be surprised though at how many of them are familiar. Some of them are speeded up remakes of well-known originals. Probably shocking to the original artists but fab for the gym.
Actually, some of them have been on my iPod so long that I'm not entirely sure where they came from!
Deborah

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics