Sunday, December 16, 2007

The 80-20 Rule


I guess most of us have heard of the "80 - 20 Rule" (formerly Pareto's Principle). Its origins go back to around 1897 when Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto observed that 80 percent of the land was owned by 20 percent of the people. Since then, this theory has been applied to almost every sphere of modern life.

I have mainly heard this used along the lines of 20 percent of the people doing 80 percent of the work. But I have recently read about applying it to personal time management. When applied this way - it means that 20 percent of your efforts produce 80 percent of the results. In other words there is the critical few and the trivial many.

I am now trying to identify the vital things in my day and focus on getting those done and it's amazing how the rest takes care of itself.

Now all you organised, choleric types are saying "der", but for someone a little more "relaxed" like me, this can be a revelation.

Hope someone finds this helpful!

Sam

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right! Concentrating on the 20% of what I do results in peace in the other 80% of my life.

I've also realized that although the time investment is initially great, that if, we can be patient enough to delegate responsibilities to our children then the less "I" do the more "I" accomplish. The less I do the more I enable others to accomplish. This is success!

Anonymous said...

I definitely have found this helpful. This blog has caused me to reevaluate what is important in my life, especially during this season. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Sam, whoever you are, I love your writing style. You are able to condense information in such a way that it hits home... not long winded but to the point and what a great point you make.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics