Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Panettone Bread and Butter Pudding!


Those of you who know me know that I don't eat a lot of Italian food unless it's at Sam's house or a good restaurant (I do however love a good veal parmigiana). Strangely it’s just not a food that I ever really got into cooking with the exception of the odd Spag Bog or Lasagna that my children request once in awhile. However after spending time at the gym and watching the food network whilst I work out (I know it’s a little strange) I have found that I have come to love watching Everyday Italian with Giada De Laurentiis. She seriously makes the most yummy looking food and is always so calm.

In preparation for our amazing Christmas Holiday, that we are spending with our friends the Cosatto’s (Sam’s family) and the Dell’s (Belinda’s family) I decided to ‘have a go’ with an Italian desert. So, in honor of Sam’s hubby, the great Italian man Tony, my eldest daughter and I stayed up later than normal, chatted non-stop and baked this morish, very (very) simple dish.

The main ingredient Panettone.....I’ve always seen this in almost every shop around Christmas time and have never known what it was. I always thought it was some cheap version of fruit cake so never bothered with it. That was until I asked Sam and she informed me that it was, in fact something really nice and loved by Italian people both young and old. So, I decided to buy it and try it. Below is the recipe we used and I promise you it is beyond simple, it could be the perfect dinner party desert or part of any families holiday food!

Panettone Bread and Butter Pudding (Giada De Laurentiis – Everyday Italian)

Ingredients:
575 mls of milk (don’t use 2% or full cream, use either 1% or skim)
575 mls double cream (thick, heavy cream)
1 vanilla pod (or just a tsp of vanilla if you don’t use pods)
4 medium eggs
170 grams caster sugar (the finest you can find but don’t stress use whatever you have ~ I did!)
Panettone, cut into thick slices and buttered (I didn’t butter, just seemed to rich)
1 orange zest
A little icing sugar

Method:
Preheat oven to 325 (160 degrees or #3 for Gas)
To start the custard base, bring the milk and cream just to a boil in a saucepan.
Cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds (or just add your tsp of vanilla) and add the zest to the milk.
In a separate large bowl whisk the eggs and sugar until they are pale or well mixed.
Dip each slice of bread into the custard and then place in a well buttered baking tray (9x13 is best).
Once all the bread is in, use your hands an gently press everything down.
Pour remainder of custard slowly over the bread.
Bake for 45 minutes – when cooked it will be slightly wobbly inside with a slight crust around the edges.
Dust with a little icing sugar and serve with extra cream, even a little jam or just by itself with a nice cup of coffee!

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never knew what panettone was. I will try it now. It sounds really good, much like tradition bread and butter pudding with a little Italian twist.
Sahra

Anonymous said...

This is a yummy comfort food. It's great way of using panettone that may be a little stale.
Sam

Susan J Sohn said...

Ahhh great idea. Mine was so fresh we were having trouble stopping ourselves from squishing it together and eating it whilst we were preparing. This is going to be a 'must have' on my Christmas grocery list from now on. Plus it just looks so good on a platter!

Thanks for opening my eyes to the wonder of good Italian food Sammy! Can't wait for Christmas.

Susan J Sohn said...

Sorry that comment above was from me.....Susan

Anonymous said...

Another great recipe. I was thinking a blog or musing on how to taste the greatness of Christmas without overindulging. For example I was talking to a friend today and she said she buys a box of chocolates for Christmas and eats about 5 and then throws the box in the garbage. She was questioning why we think we have to finish everything. Can't we just value 5 chocolates for the $10.00 rather than thinking with a bargain mindset and thinking we have to finish the whole box or we are being wasteful.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics