Sunday, December 09, 2007

A Date to Remember

So last night was just one of those nights that I will remember for a long time. It was nothing flash, rather extremely simple and in it’s simplicity it was simply amazing (how many times can I use the word or a derivative of simple?). Anyway it started like this….

My hubby was out running errands and I was home making a gingerbread house with the children (that was super fun!) and I called him and said, “hey how bout a babysitter tonight and let’s go Christmas shopping?” To which he replied, “yeah sure, why not.” I quickly called the babysitter, arranged for Philip to pick him up and YAHOO we were going out…totally unplanned and unexpected.

We decided to leave the car and walk (we are currently living in a rather ‘urban’ area). Our night was open and we were simply going wherever we were drawn. First we found ourselves in a Christmas shop looking at all the beautiful Christmas decorations and then we found ourselves at a Japanese/Korean restaurant where we enjoyed very simple, inexpensive food. Our conversation was great and we noticed no one else in the restaurant (for anyone who knows me that’s strange because I ALWAYS know what’s going on all around me). After dinner we walked the streets window shopping, talking and laughing. At one point I was laughing so hard Philip noticed that I had tears rolling down my cheeks.

Slowly we made our way home ~ so much for the Christmas shopping! We had a great night together and I realised once again why I love this man and how important it is to take time just to BE together and rediscover each other. We commented (last night) about how we both hope that at 70 we are still enjoying one another as much as we did last night. As we continue to deposit into and work on our relationship I’m confident we will remain enjoying one another. I believe the years will just make it all that much richer because we will have even more memories both of the hard times, that we’ve made it through, and the great times; that we’ve shared together.

I encourage you all to take time and enjoy a simple day/night together. As hard as it can be, try and forget the ‘issues’ of the day/world and just BE together. Talk about the time you met, talk about the way you made each other feel and stir up some of the goodness that sits between both of you but sadly can get lost in the mix of life. Your partnership is worth working on……..

So, I will sign off now with a smile on my face remembering every moment of last night. Truly a DATE TO REMEMBER!

Susan

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So nice, I love those nights.
The funny thing is you often don't feel like them, there always seems to be something more important or something else calling louder.
I know when we make the effort we have a ball and even if it takes a while to get the conversation flowing - you forget after years of being interuppted constantly - it's always worth it...
Lv Jane

Susan J Sohn said...

I love this blog SS. Keep the fire burning strong for us single girls. You inspire us to make it great when it arrives.
Michaela

Anonymous said...

Fantastic. Thanks Susan for once again reminding us to stop and read the signs in front of us. I know my relationship could do with some TLC right now. I better get onto it.
Denise

Anonymous said...

Great post Susan. It reminds me of a quote I read in a magazine recently which was -
"Nothing is more beautiful than a love that has weathered the storms of life".
Sam

Anonymous said...

I read an interview of Michael J. Fox and Tracey Pollon and they said the true test of whether you are in love is whether or not you still find their jokes funny and they make you laugh. I think perhaps this is a good indicator!
KG

Anonymous said...

My husband and I were discussing our relationship the other night and we decided that we would work a barter exchange with another couple and target having one 24hr period alone together each month (from supper on Friday until supper on Saturday). We will then do the same for the other couple. We need to strengthen our relationship.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun night. We all need to make the time to be together and enjoy each other's company.

Anonymous said...

Susan, you and your husband sound like you have a great relationship. My husband and I are swingers and we would love to swing by some time. We love Korean food also.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics