Monday, December 03, 2007

Celebrating Relationships

Hi all,

I’ve been a little quiet over the last month because we have been in the process of selling our home. I know some of you can relate. It’s amazing how tidy you have to the house because you never know when the agent is going to call ready to bring someone around...... With three (busy) children many of you will know what I’m talking about!

I’ve been thinking about what Susan said on the Facebook video today (if you aren’t on Facebook yet you should join up, it’s so much fun connecting with people plus you can join thefamilyroom Group) and I thought I would share a little something from the pages of our family in regards to people who make a difference.

The other day my 12 year old son was talking on the phone to his Grandparents in New Zealand. They have just returned from a trip overseas and Jacob (my son) was asking them all about it. He wasn’t just being ‘polite’ to the grandparents and doing as mum said by asking questions, he was really and truly interested. The conversation warmed my heart because I could see and hear that although an ocean separates us from them, the distance isn’t changing the relationship. An extremely important relationship I might add. I know that through the conversation both parties felt valued, Jacob because his Grandparents were talking to him in an age appropriate way and his Grandparents because he was interested in their lives ~ sadly sometimes Grandparents can be pushed to the sidelines of life and only thought about when gifts are due or help is needed.

Anyway I share this because I think it’s important that we remind each other, and teach our children, that life isn’t all about us. Rather we are part of a big puzzle and we need to value one another and share in life. So today I celebrate both my son and my husband’s parents. Little do either of them know how impacting their conversation was on my life.......I realised today my husband and I must be doing something right and that’s encouraging.

Belinda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing what a special place grandparents have in children's lives. They fill a spot no one else can. Thanks for reminding us to make the extra effort. Afterall, we reap what we sow and I want to sow a great relationship into my future grandchildren. I can do that by nuturing and treasuring the relationships my children have with their grandparents... Pay it forward!

catherine jayne said...

Great post Belinda. And I totally agree with you katielady.
Ultimately we're all searching for genuine relationships. What a treasure when we find them in our own homes.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics