Friday, May 01, 2009

Life as a new mum

A few weeks ago, we asked you, our amazing readers, to send in your stories. To share with us how the world looks through your eyes and let us in on your secrets for building a healthy, happy family. Today, we would like to welcome Reann to thefamilyroom blog. We hope you enjoy her thought-provoking words on the early days with a new baby.

One of the greatest treasures in life is being able to bring a child into this world. Seeing my baby girl for the first time was a breath-taking moment, one that I will never forget. I remember thinking after labour how fortune I was to have my husband and mum with me through this experience, but my mind couldn’t help but turn to the many single mums out there who have to go through this experience alone. They are heroes, strong women for whom I have a lot of respect.

It made me appreciate even more my mum’s presence with me in that season. She made it her mission to take care of me so that I could take care of my daughter. After my mum left, I remember feeling very unsure of what to do and in those times I would read. It could get pretty overwhelming, but I am thankful for the great books on parenting out there. When those feelings flooded in, I would remember something I had read which would help me make the right choice.

Mercy was very colicky for her first two months. Once, when she was crying, I was so tired that I didn’t know what else to do to console her. I walked into her room and felt so helpless that I walked right out again. I cried, calmed myself down, then walked back in and picked her up and rocked her until she fell asleep. Sometimes, as new mums we need to walk away and collect our thoughts, then go back in with a right frame of mind.

Sleep is still minimal and as a new mum I quickly learned that the saying “sleep when baby is sleeping” was not just a nice suggestion but a survival tool. Time is another challenge. Before Mercy, life was very busy – we were always doing something, going somewhere. With her in the picture, we’ve had to adapt our busy schedule.

I am still on a journey of learning how to balance everything that is required of me, but I am thankful for the women in my life who offer support and words of wisdom as I navigate this season.

Being new parents, we realise the privilege we have of being a part of this precious life from the beginning. We share new experiences like her first feed, bath, diaper change and her first smile. The first time she discovered her lips and in more recent times her first tooth.

There is no feeling like that of being a parent. The love you experience for this tiny life is truly out of this world. We are so grateful for our precious gift, Mercy Evangeline Gasper. She is our joy.

Reann

1 comment:

Susan Sohn said...

Reann I LOVE your story.

So happy you have stepped into this season of life with such confidence.
I too had my mother and hubby with me during labour (all three births) and it was special. I loved those moments in the labour and delivery room ~ almost magical.

Well done friend and WELCOME to thefamilyroom team, we are so happy to have you on this journey with us.

Susan

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics