Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Library

I love reading and I truly believe that reading is a crucial ingredient that we need in our make up as individuals and people on this planet. This amazing ingredient has much to do with how we influence our world. Reading opens doors to worlds unknown, it allows our imagination to fly away, it gives opportunity to get lost amidst words that are at times new to us. Reading is so much more that letters formed into words that become sentences that establish paragraphs. Reading introduces us to more than we can really understand.

Here are a few great quotes surrounding reading that I love and thought I would share with everyone:

“The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
- Dr. Seuss, "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!"

“No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.”
- Confucius

“Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers.”
- Harry S. Truman

This afternoon my three children and I went to the library after school, which a regular activity for our family. I love going to the library and watching my children get lost in the books around them. I’m always interested to see what actually catches their eye. Through books and this easy observance I learn more about my children each visit. My eldest is a voracious reader so we go to ‘keep him fed’. My daughter has only in recent times become interested in books and reading and today she chose a book for her to read and one for me to read to her. My little four year old chose some picture books and videos. I chose Roald Dahl and Horrible Histories talking books for the car. We left extremely satisfied and armed with something new to discover.

If you are library people then keep going, if you aren’t yet I encourage you to include this in your family routine. Libraries aren’t just for ‘bookworms’, they are for everyone and it’s actually a really relaxing way to spend a few hours with your children whatever their age. You may have a teenager who enjoys reading or has a special interest hobby that you don’t know much about or perhaps you’re simply trying to find a way to spend time together. Suggest the Library and you yourself get interested in what they are interested in. It’s amazing how neutral ground can break ground and bring people together. Libraries are also a convenient and economical resource as well as being integral to both our development and our children’s. Do something new and visit yours today I promise you will be surprised at the way they have changed over the years....you will love it.

Annie xx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said Annie - you've got my vote. My children and I are bookworms too. I love that a book can transport you to a different time or place and really fuel your imagination.

Deborah

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics