Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Code of Conduct


I heard it said once that if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything. I think that’s an extremely powerful statement. I know in my own life there have been moments and situations that I have been saved from, simply because I knew exactly where I stood personally and at times corporately.

Hearing this statement caused me to consider my life today. I am a wife and mother of three who, together with my husband Philip, are trying to raise strong, confident, compassionate children who will hopefully make a difference in this world. With this in mind I’ve realised that it is incumbent upon Philip and myself to know exactly where we stand and what we believe in so that we can give our children a foundation to stand on.

This brings me to the Code of Conduct, which means ‘a set of conventional principles and expectations that are considered binding on any person who is a member of a particular group’. We need to establish our own, personal Family Code of Conduct, this will allow each person the ability to know exactly what we as families stand for and what the expectations are of everyone in the group/family. The grey is erased, everyone is on solid, common ground and together families can move forward.

I’m not naïve enough to think that something like this will save us all from possible heart ache, pain and tears that will be shed over the years. However I do believe that when there is a common goal and a thread that brings us together as families, when we know what we stand for, falling for anything else is a lot harder. When we come face-to-face with the possibility of falling that’s when we hear that still small voice that calls us back and helps us to stand in the midst of craziness, strangeness, darkness and confusion.

Whatever the age of your children or grandchildren talk to them and together; establish your own Family Code of Conduct.

Susan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have just done this tonight!
We came up with 12 things that we sign and agreed upon as a family and the kids gave us examples of each thing so we could make sure they knew what we meant!
It was positively worded, so instead of 'we don't lie' we wrote 'we tell the truth' for example, and the kids are going to out it up in their rooms and on the fridge.
I think it will be a great bench mark for our family as the kids hit their teens and shows them that there are boundaries in their little world.
Jane

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics