Saturday, November 04, 2006

Modern Technology – What is it doing to us?

Hey there I hope you are all well and enjoying the weekend!

As of late my thoughts have been filled with modern technology and how it is shaping us as individuals.

I was recently out for dinner with my family and was enjoying our time together. Our conversation was full of stories from each ones day - we were enjoying lots of laughs together plus the incredible food we had ordered to share.

Being an avid PEOPLE WATCHER I noticed the table beside us and was saddened by what I saw. The scene hurt my heart. It was of mother and father sitting in silence, looking around the restaurant whilst occasionally rearranging their utensils. They had two children aged approx. 12 and 14 and they were both transfixed with their mobile phones. One was continuously sending text messages and the other totally engrossed in a game. NO ONE WAS TALKING!

Just the other day I had the opportunity to spend time with a few great friends and I was extremely frustrated with the amount of time that was taken up either through text messaging or responding immediately to a mobile phone ring or another text indicator. Our communication was determined and dictated by technology and our insatiable need to be ‘in touch’ with life.

I guess my thought is what about the life that is happening right in front of us. The people we are with – we need to give each other our undivided attention. My suggestion is we turn off mobile phones or blackberries, blueberries or whatever it is that is causing you to become so distracted that you miss out on LIFE.

I’m not against technology I just think we need to be aware of how we, and our most precious relationships, are being affected by it.

I, like you I’m sure, often wonder what we did before email and mobile phones – I think we walked more, had breathing space and enjoyed face-to-face conversation much more.

Have the best day and make sure you turn everything off and enjoy those in your world.

Susan xoxo
©thefamilyroom 2006

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you - not sure all this technology is necessary improving us as human beings. Thanks for the reminder

Anonymous said...

Ditto!!!

Anonymous said...

Susan, can you give some suggestions as to what my husband and I can do to get the conversation going again. I found us in that 'other' family you saw at the restaurant. Not Happy Jan!
Denise

Anonymous said...

Denise,
One thing I suggest to couples who have found themselves with nothing to say to each other is rent or go to a funny movie. Get lost in laughter and then talk about the movie afterwards. Sometimes having something like a 'great' shared experience between us gives a starting point. Keep the converstation going and bring up things from the movie, let the laughter lead you. Another thing is sit down and tell each other what you remember about your first date. It's interesting how converstation will flow on from simple memories. Let me know how you go and if you need a few other suggestions.
Have fun.
Susan xoxo

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics