Sunday, November 26, 2006

HELP.....What Can I Give the Teacher for Christmas???

Saturday morning I received an email, from a friend, with the subject title being HELP! I quickly opened the email to discover that HELP was required to organise a gift for her daughter’s teacher.

Some of you may find this a strange cry for help but the requirements put on each parent was that the gift must be made or baked….a task my beautiful friend was not up to.

I quickly typed out a few ‘home-made’ gift idea’s that I LOVE in the hope that my suggestions would alleviate the stress in her life or provide her with that simple creative push she desperately needed. I hope you too will enjoy these simple ideas and remember it doesn’t matter if this is for your 16-year-old child’s teacher or your 5 year old’s – these suggestions are gifts that speak volumes – they are made with consideration and much thought and will be enjoyed.

Dare to be different this Christmas and let your gift speak volumes…..Have fun!

Simple Gift Ideas:

A Christmas decoration with your child’s photo in it

Cookie Mix In The Jar - This is super simple. Layer the dry ingredients in the jar with the chocolate chips on the top. Let your child hand write the ingredients and cooking method (remember it doesn’t include the butte or egg make sure you include it in your method).
125 g unsalted butter, softened
1 ¼ cups tightly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups plain (all purpose) flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
1 ½ cups chocolate bits/chips

Bath Salts – This is super simple as well.
6 parts coarse sea salt
3 parts Epsom salt
1 part baking soda
A few drops of your favourite essential oil
Food colouring for look if you want however leaving it natural is best and looks great in a glass jar with a hand written label and a ribbon (you could even use an old instant coffee jar – make sure it’s washed really well in hot water and the label to TOTALLY removed).

Your favorite Fudge Brownie recipe layered like the choc chip cookies and wrapped in cello with a ribbon and placed in a small tin.

Praline Crunch – this is SUPER easy and it tastes great plus it’s a huge hit with the male teachers:
3/4 cup of sugar
2 Cups Pecan Pieces
3 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
Butter baking sheet; set aside. Place sugar in a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, shaking pan occasionally, until sugar starts to melt. Reduce heat to low and cook until sugar is golden, stirring as necessary.
Stir in pecans, butter, vanilla, and, if desired, cinnamon. If sugar resolidifies, cook and stir until sugar is melted and nuts are coated.
Spread mixture on prepared baking sheet; cool. Break into small clusters. Store in airtight container in cool, dry place for up to 3 weeks.
To wrap simply use the cellophane and tin again – super easy and looks great!

Your favorite Marinade – this is a great one! Make your favorite marinade, put it in a great jar with a sealed lid and label giving clear instructions (what it works with, etc.). Super easy and really nice.

Well friends there you go a few simple tried and true gifts made with love from your home to another. I hope you use these and enjoy……whatever you do don’t stress you CAN do it!

Susan xoxo ©thefamilyroom 2006

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan, What great timing I just had a conversation with my kids about their 'teacher' gifts and all they wanted to do was MAKE something. Needless to say, this stressed me out. I popped onto the blog just to check what was posted today and to my GREAT surprise you had posted these super ideas. Thank you I feel confident and know that our gifts will be well presented instead of what could-have-been. Thank you for your consistent work.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm going for the bath salts - what a nice idea.

Thanks Susan

Anonymous said...

Once again I am inspired. You guys never stop thinking of great ideas. Again well done.
- Marie.

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic how do you guys think of such great stuff. I have put your address in my bookmarks file and check it out everyday. I love the daily quotes and fun facts.
Louise

Anonymous said...

I love these ideas, the praline crunch sounds like a winner. I might use the marinade as a gift for my brother-in-law this year, he's a bbq fanatic.
Thanks.
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Guess what....I'm using these ideas for both kids birthday parties and for adults as well (praline crunch and marinade). Genius - thank you!
Shannon

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics