Thursday, June 26, 2008

Intuition – Are You Listening?


Intuition (in•tu•i•tion), n. direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.

That’s the dictionary definition of intuition. We’ve all experienced it, we’ve all acted on it and most of us have, at times, sadly ignored it.

Personally, I consider intuition to be the God whisper. It is a knowing that must come from somewhere. At times it can stop you in your tracks and you just know that you know something. I truly believe warnings, perception of truth and fact must come from a higher place that our ‘gut’.

Like you, I have been aware and have experienced intuition my entire life. I remember as a child a certain knowing that something wasn’t just right. As a young adult making wrong choices and feeling intuition step in. I know I have been saved from countless situations because I listened and acted. I also know that there are situations I could have been saved from if I had only listened. One such instance happened when my eldest daughter was three years old. I was leaving for work one morning and as I walked out the front door it hit me. This knowing that I needed to tell the babysitter not to take her horse riding that day. I shrugged my shoulders and thought how silly, she never goes horse riding with the babysitter. All day I sat at work and the same message kept plaguing my mind, again and again I ignored that perception of truth and fact – the God whisper. At 3pm that afternoon I answered my phone at work, only to hear the panicked voice of my babysitter. She had taken my daughter on an adventure ... to see her sister’s horse. They put my daughter on the horse; the horse spooked and fell directly on my three-year-old. She was rushed to emergency, falling in and out of consciousness. Thankfully, all the tests showed there was nothing wrong, however strangely enough she was unable to walk. It was three weeks, multiple tests and much prayer before she took another step and eventually walked again. Intuition – the direct perception of truth, fact, independent of any reasoning process. Definitely something worth listening to.

Just the other day, my mum and I were working at home, the kids ran in from outside asking if they could go to the park. They desperately wanted to take my three-year-old. Intuition struck and I stopped in my tracks. I just knew that I knew something. My mum heard me telling the children that they could go and that our three-year-old was allowed to go with them, however I gave strict instructions of what she could and couldn’t play on or do at the park (the children questioned what in fact she could go on since my list was so long). I told them to be careful and I reminded my eldest that I needed her to be extremely attentive to her little sister. She knew exactly what I meant because I’ve explained this knowing in the past.

About 20 minutes after their departure my mum and I heard the call, “Auntie Susan, Auntie Susan, Ella’s head’s bleeding.” At the first Auntie Susan, I knew. According to all credible witnesses the seesaw had come crashing down on her head and something went through the skin creating a ‘hole in her head’. We took her to the hospital, got her glued up and she is good as new. Thankfully the accident was minor.

Who knows what was ahead of her that day. Who knows if the accident could have been greater? All I know is that I chose to stop and listen when I felt that immediate apprehension. I encourage you to listen, to be wise and to allow that knowing within you to guide you when it stands up and commands your attention. We have been given intuition as an internal guide and usually in terms of our safety.

Parents of seniors graduating this year…listen.

Parents of young children….listen.

Parents of children any age….listen.

Individuals…. listen.

Let’s all allow this internal guide to assist us as we walk through life.

Susan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true Susan. Never feel intimidated by what "seems" to be obvious. If your intuition tells you "no" then go with it. I have found the more confidence I show in the "little voice" the more I hear it!

Annie

Anonymous said...

Deborah you are doing an AMAZING job of the blog.

I read this article again and it's reminded me again just how important it is to listen to that 'little voice'.

I agree with Annie about the showing of confidence.

Susan

Anonymous said...

A great reminder to all of us...especially busy parents who think they don't have the time or choice to second guess a playdate, a party, a sleepover, a babysitter, etc.

There have been many times when I have taken my daughter somewhere or been in a situation where I have heard the 'God whisper' and told her that I 'just know' we have to leave and she has on so many of those occassions agreed with me saying that she didn't want to say anything.

Never underestimate the intuition of your children either. When we're clouded with schedules, bills, work, planning, etc we can quash our gut feeling or think we are just watching too many TV shows like Medium and are overthinking everything. Children are very receptive and often what they don't speak about, they react to.

So if my daughter kicks up a fuss about going to someone's home, I ask myself if she's just being 'a teenager' or if she's reacting to it for a specific reason. Like Susan says, listening is never overrated.

Michaela.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics