Monday, June 02, 2008

A Hug A Day …


I heard on the radio yesterday that parents are getting so busy with “life” they are neglecting some of the basic needs of their children. Hugging them was one of the needs mentioned.

It made me stop and think about how much I hug my kids. Of the three, I hug the five-year-old the most. He’s very cute and I love to hug him. My nine-year-old daughter loves a cuddle and she always gets a big hug when I see her in the morning. My 12-year-old son, however, definitely misses out.

When I examine the reasons for this, nothing jumps out at me, but what I do know is that he needs to be hugged. The research shows that hugging is imperative for a child’s physical, emotional and social development.

Scientists have discovered that hugging releases endorphins into our bodies – the happy hormones that boost our sense of well-being. In fact, hugging is so important there are even hug therapy courses you can take to help in the treatment of pain, depression and anxiety.

If you are a hugger, I applaud you. It comes more naturally for some of us than others. If, like me, you see a deficit in this area of your parenting, I encourage you to hug your children at least once every day and see what unfolds!

Annie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such wise words, Annie. That really strikes a chord with me. My eldest is a 13-year-old boy and, while we've always been big on hugs, I've noticed he's definitely beginning to think they are slightly less "cool". I shall just have to pick my time carefully!

Thanks for sharing.
Deborah

Anonymous said...

So true. I think the other thing that misses out is eye contact. we talk on the phone, use the computer and do other things while our kids are trying to tell us important things and they often feel like we're really not listening I'm sure. And we aren't!

It's a challenge, but so vital. There's nothing like feeling truly valued...Jane

catherine jayne said...

I grew up in a home where there was never a shortage of hugs. It's something that I'm convinced has helped me as I've grown into an adult, as I've never once questioned my value.
My husband and I have already determined that there will be plenty hugs in our home! Great post Annie, a wonderful reminder.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments girls. So true CJ, the seeds we sow in our homes bear fruit over many years.
Annie

Anonymous said...

I love this Annie. I'm a hugger to my daughter, but it's made me look at how affectionate I am to the rest of my family. Thank you for the push.
Michaela

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics