Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Challenging Chores


Chores and children can be a challenging combination in our household.

Too often lately a simple request to set the table for dinner or grab a cloth and wipe the dishes has been greeted by a pout Paris Hilton would be proud of and the task itself has been executed with the dramatic tension of a Hollywood thriller.

Basically, I’ve let things slide. I haven’t been firm enough in making sure the kids know they are part of a team where everyone chips in to keep the wheels turning smoothly.

Recently, two people in my life brought me to my senses. Don’t get me wrong, they didn’t say anything – it was just through their words and actions I came to realise that my own kids could maybe show a bit more enthusiasm for domestic duties.

One was a colleague. Our formative years in similar English societies are a frequent topic of office conversation. He was raised in a family of seven children where everyone helped out – and probably kept mum sane in the process! Saturday mornings were a frenzy of activity as each child threw themselves into their allotted task, scrubbing, sweeping and dusting the house to gleaming perfection.

The second champion of the chores was my 22-year-old niece. During a recent four-week stay she turned out to be the dream house guest, leaping to assist each time anyone washed a dish or peeled a potato. Twice I came home from work to find she had conquered the four mountainous baskets of ironing which had been growing out of control in the laundry. My sister must have taught her well.

Now, I’m not a slave driver and I want our home to be a haven not a workhouse, but I do expect the kids to do their bit. Bedrooms need to be kept clean and tidy not decorated with discarded clothes, and when weeds are threatening to engulf the garden, I do need some help in taming the wilderness.

So we’ve rung the changes recently. Everyone’s getting cheerfully stuck into the chores and long faces are not allowed. When we’re done, there’s more time for everyone to have fun. And, fingers crossed, it’s working. The other day, my youngest set the table without being asked and when I started the dishes, she was right there by my side. Just this morning, I heard my eldest son ask everyone to clear their breakfast stuff away before rushing out of the room.

I hope it lasts!
Deborah

4 comments:

thefamilyroom said...

Excellent Deborah. I too am getting the kids 'chore friendly'. We have family friends who have trained their children so well, we've been inspired to do the same. Getting the children to 'pitch in' is an essential ingredient to strong family life.

Well written Deborah and a great encouragement.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I love your Blog Deborah. I am also getting my kids to take responsibility for the chores given to them. Very well written. Thanks again.
Belinda

Anonymous said...

Great article Deborah.
We are also navigating the team approach at present and are loving the results!

Annie

Anonymous said...

Thanks Deborah. Being a neat freak, my house and subsequently my daughter are not really that messy so the clean up doesn't really get talked about. I am challenged though after reading your article to get her to help out more though wherever there's the need. It is very important to have jobs they are responsible for to keep the house running and instill in them a sense of ownership. So taking out the bins, hanging the washing, dusting, etc are a good place to start with a neat child, especially when pocket money comes into the mix. Thank heaven's they're not all messy, but there is always something they can put their hand to.
Thanks,
Michaela.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics