Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Power of Consistency


Consistency. A word that rolls off the tongue easily, but a word that challenges each one of us every-day. Consistency is something that is required in our lives in so many areas whether it be in area of exercise, relationships, raising children, cleaning, emotions, etc., the list simply goes on and on. Consistency can be our friend or at times our greatest enemy.

I wanted to share this thought with you and allow you time to ponder how Consistency is or isn’t working in your life.

I was talking to my dear friend Jane today about raising children and how so many of us think that in order to get it right we have to be consistent in the way we discipline our children. To this end I totally agree however not only do we need to be consistent in our discipline, we MUST be consistent in our love, our words and our actions. We all know that children live what they see and as we endeavour to raise our children to be strong, confident adults we must allow them to see consistency in our lives every-day.

It is important that we (as the adults) conduct ourselves in our homes the same way we conduct ourselves outside of the home. Our children see it all and I believe that a great deal of insecurity comes from instability whether that be through a different vocabulary behind our front doors, happiness and joy in front of others vs. sorrow and anger at home, or the emotional roller coaster which causes everyone to walk on egg shells……. I think you see where I’m going.

Building consistency into our lives provides a solid, straight path for our children to walk on. The speed bumps of life will remain however that’s all they are ‘speed bumps’ and we can all negotiate a little bump here and there. Take a good look at your life and the life of your family, see where better Consistency could and will make a difference.

One of the main areas in my life that I have recently adjusted and applied Consistency to is health and fitness. As I’ve shared through the blog fitness used to be a huge part of my life until we (Philip and I) experienced change - an overseas move, three children and the fitness I once loved was lost amongst ‘life’. Yes, I did the sporadic ‘holiday workouts’ and ‘Post Christmas blasts’ or the dreaded “Summer is coming and swimwear is nearing’ exercise however that area of my life desperately needed CONSISTENCY. Now that I have made that change everyone in my life is benefiting and I’m so glad I chose to be Consistent.

As parents our children crave Consistency and it is something we can give them that costs us nothing. Consistency is delivered by sheer determination to do things differently, it’s mind over matter and it’s a daily and at times moment-by-moment choice. I encourage you to become or remain Consistent – a decision you will NEVER regret.

Susan xoxo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan,

Wow that's a big one. Thank you for CONSISTENTLY nailing the issues of life. I LOVE reading this blogspot and recommend it to so many others. You've made me think today and I plan to do tomorrow better than today, I plan to be more consistent in as many areas as possible. I'm thinking about a consistency chart FOR ME!
Thank you once again from all of us who believe in what you're doing and support you. You girls are an inspiration to everyone. Thanks.
Felicity

Anonymous said...

Thanks Susan,

Consistency frees those in our lives to benefit the most from us as they are'nt trying to work out who you are today. I grew up with lots of emotional inconsitency in my home and have made a conserted effort (without really nailing what it was) to avoid that kind of behaviour. Thanks for the wise words!!

Annie x

Anonymous said...

consistency is a necessary ingredient to all of our lives. this is great stuff.
I like your comment Annie - always great things to say.
Michelle

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics