Monday, July 28, 2008

Easy entertaining

I love having people over, my hubby does too, but he doesn't like to do ANY preparation or cleaning up! He would rather meet people for a meal out, or go to their house.

Now in his defence, I should say that this is because we are in a tiny little, albeit very lovely, home at the moment and he thinks it's impractical. Fair enough. But rather than being social hermits, I like to keep things simple and easy with a minimum of fuss while still being able to make guests feel special.

For pizza nights that are simple and easy, I usually make my own but if I'd rather be chatting to friends when they're here, I sometimes get good takeaway and make a big salad, with some french sticks in the oven with crushed garlic and butter (yummm) and a few bottles of cheap, organic Italian wine (favourite!). Because there's not much room, kids have a picnic on the floor and adults squash around the candlelit table and enjoy. Really easy and no pressure but great.

Last time we did this we had a box of Magnum minis and some mini gelato cups which we ate with coffee and it was perfect! Minimal cleaning and big fun. Great music playing or letting the kids and adults go nuts on the Wii is also very entertaining!

I also love having people for afternoon tea. I have a fave lemon cake (see recipe below) which is dead easy and I get out the white tablecloth and matching coffee cups (I do have a little OCD!). This can be so easy with a bunch of flowers in the middle and it's beautiful and special. A little bit of effort goes a long way. The plunger instead of instant, a pot instead of bags, homemade instead of bought, although bakery bought always looks good! Your personal touch and creativity makes people feel welcome and it doesn't have to be a big deal or stress out husbands.

Enjoy!
Lv Jane

Fave lemon cake

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups almond meal
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Grated rind of 1 lemon
1/2 cup yoghurt
4 eggs
1/2 cup sifted plain flour
2 tsp baking powder

Lemon syrup
Juice of 2 lemons
1/3 cup caster sugar
Grated rind of 1 lemon

Cooking instructions
Preheat oven to 180 and line base and sides of a 22cm cake pan with baking paper.
Beat eggs and sugar with an electric beater until pale.
Add yoghurt, oil and rind and beat well.
Fold in almond meal, flour and baking powder.
Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 mins, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Turn out onto a platter.

To make the syrup, combine ingredients in a saucepan with a few spoons of water and stir on a low heat, until sugar dissolves.
Increase heat and bring to the boil.
Simmer until syrupy and pour over hot cake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the sound of this cake! I've been looking for recipes to use up the beautiful lemons we have on the tree right now. This looks like the perfect excuse to pick them.

Also, thank you so much for sharing your ideas on entertaining. Sadly, I'm one of those people who stresses out when we have guests over so I need all the help I can get!

Deborah

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics