Saturday, July 26, 2008

Love Thy Neighbour


As most of you know by now, our family recently moved to Wolseley in Saskatchewan, and we are enjoying our time here. I know that the experience of these months in Canada will travel with us for a lifetime.

Being an avid participant in and observer of life, plus someone who is passionate about building community and bringing people together, I’ve found the last few weeks to be extremely interesting. Upon our arrival in town, and having just unpacked our suitcases and belongings, I was more than happy to find a friendly face carrying two loaves of freshly baked bread, home-made jam and a warm welcome at my front door. Lori Perra, someone I have come to know and greatly enjoy, extended this welcome. Lori has a smile that can light up any room and a kindness of heart that is refreshing in this big old world.

Following our welcome from Lori, I found myself with my mother on the front lawn of one of our neighbours, Mrs Christianson. We were discussing spring days and the excitement of another Saskatchewan summer. During our conversation, this lovely 92-year-old woman welcomed us to Wolseley and upon learning of our three children quickly offered her babysitting services. I smiled and thanked her and thought how kind she was and how she remains ever ready to extend herself to another generation through kindness and generosity and good old neighbourly love.

A couple of days later, I again found myself answering the front door and another neighbour, Ruth Banbury, was there with a smile and freshly baked treats for our family to enjoy. Again, another warm welcome into the community.

Recently, I did some study and research on communities in North America and how they have changed and developed over the years. Interestingly enough, I found that in the 50s the front lawn and street in front of the homes was where life happened. Neighbours talked and shared in each other’s lives. As the years progressed, change slipped in and before long the backyard became our place of refuge. Decks were built off the back of the homes, fences went up around properties creating barriers and privacy, our front lawns and streets which were once home to activity became quiet passageways backed by front windows with drawn curtains. Sadly, the neighbourhood experience began to drain.

I believe we are coming back to that place of sharing and caring. We’ve discovered that we haven’t been designed to live this life alone rather we are placed in our communities to be part of something bigger than our own little families and ourselves. So thank you Lori, Mrs Christiansen, Mrs Banbury and others who have warmly welcomed us to this neighbourhood, thank you for setting excellent examples to be followed. Thank you for sharing the truth of loving thy neighbour.

This week and going forward why don’t we all extend ourselves just a little further and be the change we want to see in our neighbourhoods, our communities and in this world.


Susan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful neighbourhood to live in!

Your observations are so true. Too often we retreat into our back gardens, locked away from the world. I visited a friend recently in an area of the city which has a large Greek population and I was amazed to see that on her street many of the homes had little whicker chairs lined up outside the front windows. Apparently, each day in the late afternoon everyone gathers outside for a pre-dinner drink and chat just as they would in the Mediterranean.

I love that idea!
Deborah

Anonymous said...

Just read family room. I loved the statement that you made about how we are so pulled into ourselves and do not reach out any more.

The neighborhood that we moved to is like Mayberry. Everyone knows everyone and they sit outside and talk. They also watch everyone drive by and discuss them. It is funny how my hubby and I were not very comfortable with this at first. But we have learned to love each one of them and know that besides being nosey, ha ha, that they look out for one another. There is concern for everyone's well being and safety. It is nice to be there and I am glad that we are moving right on the same street as our old house.

Erinlea

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics