Sunday, October 22, 2006

Staying Sane During the Toddler Years

Hey everyone I hope you’re all well and enjoying life.

I recently had an email from a friend who is a stay-at-home mum with 3 little one’s all under 4......she’s a busy girl. In her email she shared a few thoughts on the challenges she was facing and I responded with a few very ‘practical’ ideas and thoughts that I believe will help her with this tough season. I thought I’d put these up for you because as I was writing I thought they may very well benefit others.

I hope you enjoy:
•Whatever you do don’t wish these moments away they are precious.
•Stay on top of their little attitudes and pull out their amazing little characters. They will all have their own individual personalities that you need to get used to and understand but pull their character out, teach them how to be GREAT people.
•Don’t second guess yourself. Your children will pick up on this and they will manipulate situations.
•Let your yes be yes and your no be no. Meaning don’t break and ‘give in’. They are clever and know your weak spots.
•Keep going with your discipline and stick to it, try not to chop and change and support each other (hubby’s/partners).
•Also remember that God’s design is absolutely brilliant – remember how you yourself have no real concrete memory until around 5ish well neither will your children. In His almighty wisdom He allowed us a period of Grace or trial and error time I think......however you want to look at it.


Here are a few things you can do/use to keep going during this ‘tough’ time:
•Remind your children (often) how amazing they are and how you are a better person because they are in the world.
•Date your hubby/partner regularly (get a BABYSITTER and go out alone and DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE KIDS – talk about when you first started dating, falling in love, your dreams for the future, etc.).
•When you’re going to loose your temper remember that the word temporary has some of the same letters as temper and whatever you’re freaking out about probably isn’t really worth it.
•Figure out what time of the day is YOURS. You need some alone time so carve that out and use it wisely. For me it’s early in the morning – I like to get up before everyone and go for a walk or to the gym, I then come home, make my coffee and greet the troops. I’m set for the day because I’ve had some very necessary ME time.
•Remember they are little people figuring out life as well – sometimes it’s hard being a two year old with an older sister causing you grief and visa versa. They are on an incredible journey of discovery.
•Give them lots of hugs and kisses.
•Try and organize your day so you have time to play with them. This could be swinging them or walking down your street picking flowers, playing barbies, dress ups or pirates. Whatever the case may be find the little one within yourself and have fun with your children.
•Talk to them not at them.
•Finally (for now anyway) drink lots of coffee and have a stash of chocolate somewhere for when it all goes pear shaped and you just need to relax!


I hope this helps and you’ve enjoyed the read.

Susan xoxo
©The Family Room 2006


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great advice Susan. You are so right it is but a season. I always look at my lttle ones when they are asleep at the end of each day and an reminded how precious they are!!!

Anonymous said...

Exactly. I love that time of day - going into their bedrooms and taking the last look at them as they sleep.....I love it.
Thanks for your comment.
Susan

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics