Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Costumes, Make-up and Candy


What says Halloween more than costumes, bad make-up and ridiculous amounts of candy? Being back in Canada, I am well aware of Halloween being just around the corner. In Australia it isn't really celebrated or, for that matter, understood. I'm not sure many of us here in Canada actually understand Halloween either, but each year we buy candy in preparation for the laughing children who will present themselves at our front doors. Some decorate their lawns with haunting tales and more RIP tombstones than one can count or shake a stick at. Others simply turn their lights off and pretend they aren't home.

I have always enjoyed costumes and love a good costume party. As a mother, I find myself very involved in the planning of my children's costumes; we spend time thinking, laughing and then pulling all the ideas back to what we think, or hope, we can achieve. We usually try to make our costumes, however there are times (like this year) when the $12 pumpkin suit can't be passed over.

This year, I find myself somewhat troubled by the costumes I see on sale. For my daughter's age (she is 10) many of the costumes have a hint, and at times a full blown message, of sexuality. Let me name a few of the costumes I have discovered this year: the naughty nurse, lovely Lolita and maid purr-fect and luckily (not) they all go from size 5-14. To me, and I hope I'm not alone here, this is wrong. Why do we need to encourage young girls to look and act older than their years? Whatever happened to dressing up like a cowgirl or even a hippy?

Call me old-fashioned and out-of-date if you want, but for my house we will be sporting costumes that are age appropriate. My youngest is going as the pumpkin, my son who is 7 is Batman and my daughter is yet to be decided but it's looking like the mad scientist may win. I know we will run into many pop stars, wrestlers, ghouls and goblins and, if what I've seen in the shops is any indication, sadly there will be a number of inappropriately dressed 10-year-olds and younger ones out there.

Today, I encourage you to not follow the crowd, use common sense and let your kids be kids for as long as they possibly can.

Susan

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Susan, thank you for the timely words of wisdom. You are definitely not alone in your opinion. I am more than happy for my three to retain that carefree, childhood innocence for as long as possible. There'll be plenty of time for the grown-up stuff later.

Great post,
Deborah

Anonymous said...

Thanks Deborah. Kids are being over sexualized plus the pressure on some due to parental dysfunction is ridiculous.
Let kids be kids I say!

Anonymous said...

I love the pic they're gorgeous....Jane

Anonymous said...

So true. The same can be said for dance costumes and age appropriate dance moves!

Susan J Sohn said...

Totally agree with the dancing. My girlfriend and I were talking the other day about what influences we had when we were young. We thought about Madonna and Cyndi Lauper but they were so 'over the top' that they weren't really influences in a fashion or attitude way. Also, with media the way it was then, we didn't know about every breath they took or scratch they had so the influence was limited.
Today's children are bombarded with images, sounds, sights and so much more. Parents need to stay savvy and ahead of the game.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I love your challenge for young girls to remain young girls. As a mother of a 13 year old, this is a good reminder to not hurry the process.
Katie.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics