Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Where are friends found?

Have you ever sat and considered your friends and then thought about when you became friends and what triggered your friendship?

Just yesterday, Philip and I were talking about ‘friends by chance’ and ‘friends by choice’ (catch that article on his blog, see our “Blogs we Love” panel for the link).

Today, I want to introduce a new friend to you. Her name is Rebecca Ness, and Rebecca and I truly became friends by chance.

It all happened one hot summer day in Wolseley, Saskatchewan. I was spending the summer with my family, in my parents’ new house by the lake with the bridge (my parents were still living on the farm). It was a warm day and I was busy preparing lunch for my children whilst they ran through the sprinklers my father had set up for them on the front yard. Their squealing and laughter let us know how much they were enjoying the cool water and the splurges of their super soakers.

My mum was with me and, like every day, we noticed a vehicle arrive at the lake with the bridge. The bridge is a major tourist spot in our small town - to learn more about this picturesque area visit: http://www.wolseleyonline.com/ - and it is seen by many who travel the #1 highway across our great country of Canada.

The vehicle in front of my parents’ house was a caravan, or RV as we know them here. Once parked, the side doors flew open and out jumped two lovely little children. They were followed by their mum, who has now become my friend, Rebecca. Her children unashamedly joined my children, as only young ones do (how I wish we adults still had that ever-welcoming disposition) and began to run freely in our front yard. It was lovely to watch.

Rebecca and I chatted and, like any two girls, we covered a lot of ground in those 60+ minutes on the front lawn. When her family had enjoyed their lunch and had a quick last play, they packed up their RV and away they went. Days later, I was surprised to open my emails to find that Rebecca had found me on Facebook. Since then, as they say, the rest is history.

So, I ask you to welcome Rebecca (pictured above with her family) as a new writer to thefamilyroom. She will contribute articles, like the rest of us, from her everyday life. She, like us, is on a journey and through this platform is choosing to live her life out loud hoping that somewhere, someone will take something from her journey and live a stronger, more confident life. Drop by thefamilyroom tomorrow for Rebecca’s inspiring first article.

Susan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool. What an amazing way to meet someone. I really enjoy your writing and your radio show. Glad I found this online.
Keep going.
Terry

Anonymous said...

What a great story I love how you two met through happenstance. Often times they develop into the best friendships. It will be interesting to watch this friendship unfold.
An interested reader and listener.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics