Thursday, August 23, 2007

Being Gentle on the Planet

For as long as I can remember I have had a fascination with cause and effect. I have always innately understood that my body will be as healthy as the way I treat it. Likewise the concept of adapting my lifestyle to lessen my impact on the environment came quite naturally as the world woke up to what we have been doing to the planet.

Now that Susan has opened the door I would like to share a few of the things I do. It’s nothing radical, but hopefully it will help open your eyes to the possibilities that are out there for all of us to make a difference. Like Susan said, “If we all do just one thing different we could make a difference.”

Before I start please remember I’m not an expert, just a girl with a few ideas. To me it’s all about getting back to basics. I think about what my nanna would have done and my challenge is often answered in a second. I’m sure many of you can relate to this!!!

Here are a few ideas to start with!

Plastic Wrap - Don’t use plastic wrap to cover dishes in the refrigerator. I can generally find a plate that will sit nicely on top of the dish and serve the same purpose minus that use of plastic…and we all know how nasty that is. I use the same method when warming something up in the microwave, not only is this environmentally hazardous there are numerous reports about the health issues relating to this usage. One more thing, I like making pizza dough and I use the plate to cover as it raises as well you could also use a clean dish clothe. The ideas and options are endless.

Allow me to interrupt myself here. I am no angel. I do use plastic wrap however I try to find ways to avoid is use if the opportunity arrives.

Plastic pouches/lunch bags - If you use plastic pouches in your children’s lunch box, train them not to throw them out. They are generally good for a few uses. If you are really committed you can even wash them! Little plastic boxes are also a great alternative.

Snack Packs - Rather than buying little packets of snacks for my children I buy one large packet (eg: of crackers) and divide them up myself. Or make my own popcorn (healthier) and package it myself. This results in much less disposal of plastic packaging.

The end result the more we can eliminate the usage of packaging in our homes the better for the environment, also seek out a biodegradable option…. our children and our children’s children will thank us.

If you have any great ideas and tips that you use in your home please share them with us.

Happy recycling ☺

Annie x

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie,

This is really good. I love the Plastic Wrap thing, I have a real issue with plastic wrap in the microwave more for the health issues that you mentioned but also the wastage.
Your plastic pouch/bag idea is good, my mum used to make us bring them home from school, gosh if you forgot them you were in BIG trouble. That is such a thing of the past hey. I'm sure our parents did it more for economical reasons howeverthe economical issue ended up helping the environment.
Great thoughts and well done.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing reading your post Susan. Being gentle on the planet more often than not is also gentler on your hip pocke! Like not having to buy disposable nappies:) Annie

Anonymous said...

Execellent Annie. I'm with you. Keep going girls.
Faith

Anonymous said...

Annie,

This is great. I am challenged to revert to the seventies options of brown paper bags for my daughter's recess.

Michaela.

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics