Thursday, June 28, 2007

Spicy Lentils....Something Everyone Seems to Enjoy!

Hey there I hope you are all well and enjoying this chilly weather. For those of you in the Northern Hemisphere please enjoy the nice weather you must be experiencing right now.

The other night I was at a 'bring a plate' dinner and I brought a simple dish of Spicy Lentils which everyone seemed to enjoy. Actually they enjoyed it so much they kept asking for the recipe so I thought I'd share it through the blog. It's a great dish, easy to make, extremely healthy and one everyone seems to enjoy ~ even the kids.

As a side note I have found a great curry powder from The Healthy Curry Company. It is all natural with no additives and the flavours are great. Check them out at www.thehealthycurrycompany.com.au. I really love the Vital Vegetarian Curry, the recipe is on the back and is really simple. It has eggplant and chickpeas, my kids eat it and don't even they are eating all these great veggies. So give this recipe a go and try the others I've suggested ~ Curries are a great way to keep warm in the winter months.

SPICY LENTILS


1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large brown onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon Madras curry paste
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
400g can diced tomatoes
2 cups(375mls) chicken stock
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves

Method:

Heat oil in a large saucepan; cook onion and garlic, stirring until onion is soft. Add paste and seeds ; cook, stirring until fragrant.
Stir in lentils, undrained chopped tomatoes, stock and coriander; simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes or until
lentils are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.

Enjoy this and other familyroom tried and true recipes. Be well and stay healthy.

Sam

No comments:

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics