Monday, June 25, 2007

Family, Friends, Good Times.... Read On!

Bonjourno!

Hi friends,

I’m back on the blog again after returning from an incredible family time away in Europe. We went to the UK for my brother in laws wedding (will blog soon about what a special family time that was), and then with about 20 of the relatives spent the next 3 weeks in Italy and France. SO much I could write about traveling with kids, not freaking out at your husband, functioning on minimal sleep and with jetlag, etc., etc., but I wanted to chat with you about the way Italian and French women look fabulous all the while daily consuming pastries, full fat dairy, wine and copious amounts of oil. For those of you who haven’t read “French women don’t get fat” you must get a copy it’s excellent.

So I was wandering around these fairytale places thinking well French women may not get fat but I think I will on these almond chocolate croissants and I found myself staring at their great sense of style and thinking about the balance that they seem to achieve so beautifully. If you have read any of my previous posts you will know that I’m the type of Nutritionist who isn’t into dieting except for medical reasons, and my mantra with food is all about EVERYDAY, SOMETIMES and PARTY foods. These European women GET that concept.

You won’t find light dairy products, pastries are literally breakfast foods with a few shots of coffee - pizza and salads with oil are standard and the gelato in Italy is unrivaled anywhere in the world and consumed regularly. We won’t even mention the wine….and let’s just say low carb diets will never take off in Europe!

The thing is they live with balance. They know it will all still be there tomorrow and don’t binge. They drink in moderation and eat their bread and oil (very good for you) as well as their fruit and veggies, they cook with flavour and use full fat everything because they don’t eat enough of it to be a problem. They eat the best quality chocolate and only need a square or 2 at a time because it’s so good and so rich. My favourite thing is….they understand that food is not to be feared and is ALL ABOUT family and friends and good times and enjoyment.

We really need to wean ourselves off all these pretend packaged foods loaded with salt and sugar and preservatives and low this and low that, and get back to basics. Our bodies and our tastebuds will thank us!

Well I’m off to make a shot of espresso and let the kids make breakfast…..

Lv Jane
PS Hey we just found out we’re moving back to Sydney in July. Looking forward to being able to finally go to Family Room Live! See you at the next one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speak it sister. They know what they're doing and I think it's GREAT. Looking forward to having you back in Oz.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I think I was meant to live in Italy! They find it so easy to cook because they keep it simple.
Sam.

Anonymous said...

I agree Sam, perhaps simplicity is the spice of life.
Susan

Anonymous said...

love reading your thoughts...
Rachel

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics