Monday, March 23, 2009

A powerful partnership

If you’ve been listening to Coffee with Susan and Friends on blogtalk radio (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/susanjsohn), I’m sure you’ve heard conversations about keeping kids safe. Not having my own children yet, my take on these discussions would be quite different from many of you, although I do care greatly about this issue. As someone who works with children and families, I understand the amazing partnership between parents and childcare workers.

I remember an incident that happened when I was in Grade 6 which showed this partnership in action.

There was a student in another Grade 6 class who would bring Tylenol with her to school and distribute it to other students during recess. The students who took the Tylenol didn't have any aches or pains, they took it just for the sake of it.

A bit confused (I had trouble swallowing pills as a young girl), I talked to my mum about this. As a concerned parent, she naturally (or maybe not so naturally) contacted the school so that the Grade 6 teachers were aware of what was going on in the playground.

Within a few days, all the Grade 6 children were crammed into a room with the school nurse who proceeded to tell us about the dangers of taking medication – when it’s needed, when it’s not needed, the possible side effects and so on.

Soon after this meeting, the "Tylenol dealing" came to an end.

A little while ago, my husband and I had a run-in with a young man who was telling us about watching inappropriate movies for someone his age (or any age in my personal opinion). At first we were both uncomfortable with how to deal with this. Were his parents allowing him to watch these films? Should we ask at the risk of seeming judgmental, or would our concern be welcome?

Thankfully, this mother came to us asking if her son had mentioned anything. We then proceeded to say that he had. It came as such a relief to her to know that we were concerned as well. Together, we came up with a plan on how to discourage this young man from watching these shows in a diplomatic, yet very serious manner.

I think parents often feel they are alone in educating their children how to be "street wise" and how to make wise decisions. This is quite unfortunate because of all the resources available through schools and other places where extra-curricular activities happen.

Let it be known that I personally believe in these partnerships as I have seen a very positive outcome. If you are a parent, I would encourage you to spend time voicing your concerns to your children's teachers/childcare workers etc. Together the two are capable of shaping incredible young people.

Love you loads!
~cj

2 comments:

Susan Sohn said...

WOW, WOW, WOW! CJ you continually amaze and astound me. What wisdom in your article. I am so thankful to have you in my life and on this journey with us. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you and please, keep writing my friend.

We all think it won't happen to us! Ha, you are proof in the pudding (as they say). You illustrate, so beautifully, the need for good communication between parent and child. Thank God you and your mum had and have that open relationship.

Thanks my friend. Keep the wisdom coming. I can't wait to see how you raise your children.

Well done.

catherine jayne said...

Thanks Susan.
I would definitely say that good communication between parent and child is key! It's all about creating a place of unconditional love and trust. Hmmm...makes me think of some other ideas for blogs...perhaps there will be more to come :)
~cj

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics