Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Thoughts on travel … and sponsoring children


I have just returned from a week in Vietnam, and have come back with a new sponsor child and a renewed appreciation for fresh milk, the English language and clean water.

The other thing that has stayed with me is the fact that no matter where we live or who we are, we all value the same things. As clichéd as it has become, we all hold dear dreams for our children’s future and the intimacy of family.

I often think that if everyone found the opportunity to travel, not just overseas but even to a different suburb or a particular multicultural part of our own cities, then our tolerance of each other would be greater. We would appreciate diversity instead of fearing and stereotyping each other.

Underneath it all, we are the same.

My travels have also shown me how people so often thrive in adversity, whilst those of us in comfortable societies often complain about our abundance.

It was so lovely to observe people in villages just living their day together, loving each other’s children and preparing meals. One village we visited had recently been hooked up to a clean water supply and, as a result, water-borne diseases had been eradicated. Such simple lives, but so much to be grateful for.

I saw much heartache and need and wondered why it didn’t really touch me, until I met Vinh, my new sponsor child, and his mother. I am such an advocate for child sponsorship! After our meeting, I watched them ride off on their bike before I dissolved into a blubbering mess! I can’t make a huge dent in the enormity of poverty, but I can dramatically change the life of a few children around the globe.

I was so moved that I brought home photos and details of five other children who need sponsorship in Vinh’s village. Just AUD$38 a month can make such a significant difference, and I was humbled by the opportunity to be a part of that.

Anyone interested in finding out more about these other five kids, please let me know.

Meanwhile, if you can’t go to another country, visit Chinatown if your city has one, or even a restaurant that serves food you don’t normally eat. Placing value our differences may just change the world.

Lv Jane

4 comments:

catherine jayne said...

GREAT blog Jane!

Anonymous said...

Family Room is richer and more diverse from your contributions!

Anonymous said...

Thanks CJ and anon...the challenge is to keep the lessons with me. Easy to get comfortable and complacent!
Jane

Anonymous said...

Jane,
I love this post and I agree with anonymous, your contribution to thefamilyroom adds so much. Keep bringing us your perspective on life my friend.

I love when you say that really, we are all the same. I couldn't agree more. Like you I am in a mixed marriage and I am continually astonished by the similarities when you get to the 'real issues of life'.

Yes, our skin and language maybe different, we may favour different foods plus many other surface things. However when you dig deeper and truly search our souls we share so much that all the surface stuff begins to blur.

Keep up all your good work Jane. The world needs you and you are an inspiration to all of us.

Susan

My Favorites

 
Clicky Web Analytics